Our twin steeples against the peak of Mt. Washington
The First Congregational Church of Littleton was organized in 1803. The original church building was situated in West Littleton. In 1833, the existing church was constructed on Main Street. The parish house was built in 1883. Major renovations were made to the sanctuary in 1943. 1961 marked the culmination of an extensive stewardship and building program which linked the church and the parish house, creating a kitchen, church hall, church offices and classroom space.
The church is of English Gothic design, with twin spires dominant on the horizon against the majestic background of the White Mountains. The sanctuary, which seats 300, features a divided chancel centered on an 1881 Hook & Hastings organ. Long-term members and new visitors alike are entranced by sunlight streaming in through fifteen Tiffany stained glass memorial windows, installed in 1902.
A major capital campaign in 2006 raising over $700,000 enabled the church to clean and relead these windows, renovate the fellowship hall including the kitchen, make sanctuary repairs to include a new audio/visual system, restoration of the organ, installation of a foldaway divider in the ladies parlor, and a major construction redesign of the connector including new ADA compliant restrooms and a lift creating accessability from the street to the sanctuary, offices and church hall.